Frequently asked questions
What do you feed your goldens?
We feed our adult dogs Purino Pro Plan large breed shredded chicken or beef and rice. We feed the puppy version which is a smaller bite to our puppies while we have them. We also supplement occasionally with raw eggs, carrots, green beans and apples.
Can I visit your farm?
While we understand the clients joy and excitement of meeting the parents, only visits will be scheduled for clients who have completed the application process and are on a wait list for a puppy from a confirmed litter. However, once puppies are delivered we will accept no visitors for both the mom and puppies until they have received their first vaccinations and have been checked by our vet. We love to meet with clients and show off our dogs but raising puppies and taking care of our adult dogs is a busy job!
How do I reserve a puppy and what does the process look like?
1) Fill out and submit a puppy application (this process may take one for two weeks depending on the time of submission).
2) Once approved, we will email you to talk about our upcoming litters and which one you might be interested in.
3) From there you will be placed on our waiting list for that specific litter.
When a litter has arrived, we will notify you so that a deposit can be placed. A submitted application does not reserve a puppy, in which only a deposit does. We will not accept deposits before puppies are born.
4) Once your deposit is placed, you can sit back and watch them grow over the next few weeks! We will keep you posted on how they are growing and what they are learning along with a few photos and videos.
5) We send our puppies home around 7-8 weeks of age. We’ll be in contact with you about pick-up day in which you and your family will come get to choose and pick your puppy! We will allow one hour for your visit with us in which we will help you choose your puppy. They are each marked with their own collars so they can be distinguished between each other. Each pup has their own personalities and traits, and even individualized looks. We’re with the puppies a lot during their first few weeks so we can help assist you in choosing the one thats right for your family!
6) Puppy pick up order is organized in the same order deposits are received. If we receive your deposit first, you will have the first pick. Second deposit placed, second pick, etc.
What does "AKC" certified mean?
AKC® (American Kennel Club) is the premiere registry that offers our dogs the healthiest future possible.The American Kennel Club is dedicated to upholding the integrity of its Registry, promoting the sport of purebred dogs and breeding for type and function. Founded in 1884, the AKC® and its affiliated organizations advocate for the purebred dog as a family companion, advance canine health and well-being, work to protect the rights of all dog owners and promote responsible dog ownership. AKC's objective is to advance the study, breeding, exhibiting, running and maintenance of purebred dogs.
What does "OFA" mean?
All of our goldens in our breeding program undergo strict health screenings- elbow, heart, eyes, hips, PENNhips and genetic clearances before being bred. With this higher order of screenings we ensure that there is no cross breeding and reduse the chances for future health issues we unfortunately see today. Health-tested parents for healthier puppies. OFA has been around since 1966. With this system in place we are able to trace back over 10 generations to compare blood lines, strengths and weaknesses before breeding. Quality will always be what we strive for here at Golden Haven Puppies.